Friday, April 11, 2008

Why Google is King, Plus a Suggestion

In furtherance of failing to post any original thoughts of my own, I'm going to tell you about my friend Dawn, who managed to recently do two things:
1. Join the new millennium and switch her email provider from Excite (which, by the way, refused to deliver any of my mail to her, each and every time); and,
2. Explain in plain terms why Google is the genius giant it has become.

Note that Dawn is a lot of things, but she's not an information age guru. She's not a tech biz junkie, nor is she electronically inclined. In fact, she doesn't own a TV. She's a wife, a dog and horse person, a Pushcart Prize nominee, and a damned good writer. She's terrible at keeping in touch for the most part, but when she does, it's always a learning experience. Take, for example, the email she sent me yesterday, in which she demonstrated point #2 from above, and which is posted totally without any kind of permission whatsoever:

"My new email is through google, and it seems to know what's best for me when it comes to picking out sidebar advertising depending on with whom I am corresponding, and about what. For some reason, whatever we are talking about makes it think of 'Guitar Lessons in Boulder' and 'Find a Therapist.' Hmm. There is a niche job for me right there. If I could only play guitar and or give advice."

Google, if you're listening--and I know you are--there's some gold there in that last sentence. What if, while you were pushing targeted ads, you could also provide some sort of career/life coaching to go with them? I know it seems like a long shot, but you were too once. Take that idea for free; after all, you're the Big Brother I never had.

1 comment:

amy said...

i'm consistently disturbed by the sidebar ads i get in my google email. here's a sampling from a batch of today's emails:

"Voodoo by Papa George" (who specializes in love problems)

"Little Rock Tummy Tuck" (Get a Little Rock tummy tuck OR get tummy tuck results without surgery) ....but do i have to go to Little Rock to get my tummy tuck and/or results?

"Zoo Job" (they have over 300 zoo jobs!)

"I Cured My Hives At Home" (using 4 easy to find groceries)

...the hives ad was paired with a "Are You Saved?" (take the heaven.com quiz) ad.

apparently, getting saved and being cured of hives are connected...no WONDER i keep breaking out!

i'm not sure i like it that google can read my mind AND knows where my soul is headed. that's freaky.